My father, born in 1893, used to whistle a lively tune. I've been trying to figure out what it was for many years. I have at times mused about what songs my folks grew up with as youth and teens. My mother was born in 1900.
This morning when I woke up, the words "It's a long way to Tipperary" came to my mind. (Why... some understand.)
We used to have an RCA Victor record player, hand crank, in the family home. It's now in the home of my Brother in law in Rocky Ford, in the basement. All kinds of old records on it. Many from John McCormack. Doubtless, this would be one.
It's a WWI song, originated in Ireland before WWI but adopted by the various UK peoples in WWI then WWII as well. Links to some other vintage songs will show on youtube.
My father's whistling was a bit more lively than this, and just the main phrases of the chorus. My father was a much better man than I, and remained upbeat through very heavy burdens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVM-tFAdADg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIRdoREgiH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqeeb6P1j_w
No comments:
Post a Comment